Welcome
Welcome to Cootworld

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Thinking about buying a coot. Whats it worth?

Thinking about buying a coot. Whats it worth?

Postby Jklein » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:54 am

I found a coot for sale and was wondering what it would be worth. It originally had the 12 hp but was previuously swapped out for a 10hp kohler. The machine is in decent shape,but would take some cleaning and minor repairs to get it going agian. It has a couple problems, the engine only has 25 lbs of compression with little spark. The second problem is one of the rear gears went out. The guy selling it told me it would cost $100 for a new one. I think he said it was brass. I know the front end is still good but without that gear, i'm not sure of the rearend. It does not have a rear prop. Any idea of what this would be worth? Or what a decent coot in running shape is worth? Thanks
Jklein

Re: Thinking about buying a coot. Whats it worth?

Postby BJsCOOT2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Can you send me a couple of pictures? The 10 horse is just enough power but a bit more is preferred. People swap in the Briggs Vanguard 14 horse or the Honda clone 13 horse. A bronze worm wheel (material CDA954 Gear Bronze) is going to run right at $300. Mark Slomba has them available and they are the best quality that can be had. They are 1-1/2" wide so you have more tooth contact. He has the steel worm and spacers too. It seems kinda steep, but a set properly maintained will last for years.
Having the prop is a plus. I picked up a running Coot a few years back for $950. One in better shape but not running went for $2000. I have a 4WS that I bought with no engine and no tires and wheels with most everything else in decent shape for $100 bucks. The guy just wanted it gone.
What you are willing to give and what you are willing to put into one is a big factor. Is it a 2WS or 4WS? New engine or rebuild what you have?
In my opinion, with the cost of buying it, repowering it, gears and misc. repairs, you should have no more than about $2500 in it to have a very dependable machine. With those figures, you should be able to figure out what it is worth to you. Hope this helps. You can call me if you have any other questions or just message me here. 870-692-7850. Billy
If it aint broke, you just aint played with it long enough
BJsCOOT2
Site Admin

Highscores: 2

Postby Jklein » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:28 pm

I don't have a picture right now. It is a 2WS. My first plan was to rebuild the 10hp, but I found a 13 hp honda clone at a pretty good price. I think that might be my best option now. Do you know what size shaft it has to be? The guy wants $695 for it, think thats reasonable?
Jklein

Postby Coop » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 pm

The Honda or Honda clone might have an issue fitting in the original location due to carb/air filter clearance on the side of the body. In order to check the compression on a Kohler, you have to turn the engine over backwards, otherwise the compression release will give you a false reading. Those Kohler engines are good engines, lots of torque. If the Kohler engine fits in there correctly, and the clutches all line up, I'd be tempted to use the Kohler engine rather than the Honda clone, if the power is down, either put a smaller sprocket on the transmission, or a bigger sprocket on the torque box, just a few teeth either way will make a big difference. If the tubs are solid, and have no major rust, $695 is a fair price. I'm not a fan of 2WS, but they can be converted if you want to. I've had both, it depends on what you are going to be using the COOT for, if you are going to be doing alot of woods riding, you won't like the 2WS, it takes a mile to turn it around. If you have the original clutch on the engine, the shaft size should be 1 1/8".

Coop
Coop

Postby Jklein » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks I appreciate all the info. I never thought of a compression release. The engine i was looking at was a 13 hp predator engine. Has that been used before in a COOT? I wouldnt mind rebuilding the kohler either if it has enough power. How much do they typically weigh? Is there certain things i should check before pulling the trigger. The more info i get the better. I appreciate it guys.
Jklein

Postby BJsCOOT2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Here is the COOT. Not sure why it goes to Imageshack. Click the "rotate" button to look at it.Image
If it aint broke, you just aint played with it long enough
BJsCOOT2
Site Admin

Highscores: 2

Postby John Mc » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Coop - isn't that original 1 1/8" engine shaft tapered as well?

jklein - if that 10 HP engine needs any significant work, I'd be inclined to just go with the Briggs 14 or 16 HP engine instead. Those Honda/Honda-clones can take a lot of work to make them fit - usually involving cutting a hole in the right side of your tub (and being careful not to hit the carb with your tire when you crank the steering to the right).

If you want to go back to the stock configuration, I may have a line on a 12HP Tecumseh. A local small engine shop used to own a Coot. Bought a replacement engine, but sold the Coot before they put it in. They are pretty sure they've got it stored somewhere, but not sure if it has a working carb on it or not.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. - Abraham Maslow
John Mc

Postby Coop » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:44 pm

John...I have an original Tecumseh engine here, that shaft isn't tapered, neither is the clutch bore. Only tapered shafts I've seen are on generator engines.
Coop

Postby John Mc » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Well, I guess I learned something new. I could have sworn I read that it was tapered somewhere. I've never had drive pulley off the shaft (yet), but reading all the comments about how tough it is to get off also made me think it was a tapered shaft.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. - Abraham Maslow
John Mc

Postby Dennis Coley » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Original engine / clutch setup for both Tecumseh 12 & 18 HP was a 1" straight shaft. To remove, use your favorite penetrating lubricant, time to soak in, and plenty of patience. Dennis
Dennis Coley

Return to General Discussion