Welcome
Welcome to Cootworld

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Brakes

Brakes

Postby tgawel76 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:40 pm

The Information was collected from a number of owners and multiple web sources.
The Coot Service Manual contains detailed information on all things Coot. When in doubt go to The Book!

Coot Brakes
Ted
Hi all. I just converted to an Airheart hydraulic master cylinder and 150 series caliper. With a spacer the caliper works great with the stock coot disk. After I got the system bled it is no problem to skid 4 tires on concrete. I mounted the master cylinder on an angle bracket beside the seat with a hand lever to actuate the brakes. I had a hard time finding fluid for this system. There are 2 repair kits for these units. One if for DOT 3 brake fluid and the other is for Mil. Spec 5606. After calling a few lubricant shops I finally tracked the stuff down as Military grade extreme high and low temp Hydraulic fluid. Another 3 calls and I found some locally. I think if I rebuild these units again I will specify the other kit as brake fluid is available everywhere and aircraft hydraulic fluid. isn’t.

Dave
I also need a repair kit for my Airheart brakes. Can you tell me where to get the pads and kit??

Doug
Congrats on the conversion. Any chance of posting some pictures of the installation as it's something I would very much like to add to my Coot.

Ted

http://www.commetkartsales.com open the online catalog, when the page opens on the left is (catalog) scroll down and click on brakes then pick your brand. There are some really great manual systems of all sizes so take a look at them. I got this idea from looking at motorcycle brake systems that have a remote fluid tank and a hydraulic pedal for the rear brake. Hunt the wrecking yards and look at their designs.

TG
http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/brakes/brakes.htm (Inserted working link)
(This is the page for Comet Karts online store brake parts page. It looks like the mechanical brake pads should work of the Coot Brake. I am not 100 percent sure but the image looks correct T.
Airheart Mechanical Brake Caliper Replacement Pads (double notch)
http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/bra ... chpads.jpg T.)

Others have reported
Artic Cat 0109-471
Murray Go Kart 776938
Good article on how to rebuild the brakes. One side will be difficult to replace as it has been bonded into the housing.

There is also a break pad that has only one notch unlike the Airheart brakes which have 2 notches further down the page pn 04-490

http://www.gokartsupply.com/discbr.htm

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/4-490.html?id=4uzdgwZC
Cheaper price on the single notch pads
Devil Dog with too many Coots to count
:-)

tgawel76

Re: Brakes

Postby tgawel76 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:48 pm

Here is some more good info

JoeW
I need to find brake pads for my 1970 Coot. Does anyone know where I can get them?
The brake case reads:
K - H
400 M

On the back of the case it reads

I found a couple of places on the net where I could get replacement brakes at go kart dealers but I would like to restore this Coot as close as possible.

John B. Kruk
I got brake pads at an ARCTIC CAT SNOWMOBILE DEALER. If I recall, they were an exact fit. Pads were Arctic Cat P/N 0109-471 for use on JAGUAR 75-78.
JoeW
Yep -- that is the one I got cost me $9.00 each. Lady at the parts counter found it by looking at the figures. Now we all have model, year, and most importantly the part number -- Perfect fit. Is also nice to know that the go cart uses the same one so there are at least two sources.
Van
THE Murray go kart uses the same brake pads. Part # 776938
Ted
Try taking your backing disks to a brake and clutch shop and having them relined. Another possibility is to buy some clutch or brake pad material and grind it to fit your backings. The airheart brake I have uses an all-weather adhesive to glue the brake material onto the disk backing. Good Cooting
JoeW
Thanks Ted. I will try that this morning. Cheeze, I can sure be dumb sometimes. But then, I have never tried to restore a vehicle before. Ignorance can be a pain in the neck and everyone's patience is appreciated. I am learning, slow but sure. Someone else mentioned using a sand blaster on the inside of the Coot so I went and bought one. It does a great job. Now I gotta get the sand out out of it. I am learning, it is just slow and costly.

I can't get that key out of the torque converter so I had to buy a new one for the new engine and that little piece of ignorance cost me another $150.00. Such is life.
Went to the local Arctic Cat dealer and got the brake pucks for $8.98 each. The part number is 0109-471. The first one she looked up for the 1974 Cat was too small. The manual showed an Arctic Cat "Polaris" type brake that looked identical to the Coot brake and it fit perfectly. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the non-movable puck out and glue the new one in. I assume that I can just beat it out of there. Does anyone know what these things are glued with.

Howard
Hi Joe,

Glad that worked out. When I took my caliper apart the non-moving puck came out easy. Yours may just be gummed up or maybe someone glued it in? hds

ps...when you get it all cleaned up and put back together you need to adjust the clearance between the pads and the disk to 5 thousands of an inch. The disk is supposed to float on the Torque Transmitter shaft. Anti seize lubricant is a good idea
Joe W
It looks like someone put some sort of gasket maker around the edges of the puck, perhaps inside too for all I know. It is locked tight. I am glad to know I don't have to glue it back in as it seems it shouldn't need that. There is no place for it to go once the caliper and pads are in place. Maybe someone just a little dumber than me couldn't figure that one out.

Thanks, I will adjust to .005

tgawel76

Postby cootman-ohio » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:41 am

hey could you guys list the parts-part numbers for the brakes you used on your coot's instead of the cable brake???
thanks
terry
cootman-ohio

Postby 11acs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 am

One way to fix the brakes if they are worn:
I guess I'm cheap, but I just removed the pads and flipped them over. First I wrapped tape around the perimeter & filled the worn area with J&B Weld. When it set I sanded them parallel to the un-worn side & flat so they would sit flat in the "holder". Added a little more J&B to glue them in. This should last another 10 or 20 years of forgetting to release the brake before driving off. They work as good as new now. A foot brake would sure be nice on these hills at times! I'm thinking of adding a micro switch & a light on the dash to remind me that the parking brake is on. I don't seem to look at the lever, which should be enough of a reminder.

Regards:
Victor in McMinnville, Or.
11acs

Postby Gonzo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:02 pm

I am replacing my stock brake with a hydraulic foot pedal operated system

Anyone who has done this please let me know

I would appreciate your advice

Gonzo
Gonzo

Postby tgawel76 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm

A few people have just look through the posts. If not PM me and i will dig through the old archives to see what people did.

tgawel76

Postby Gonzo » Mon May 13, 2013 9:23 am

Using a Harley front disk, will advise on my pedal installation, anyone with pictures of a pedal brake install would be appreciated
Gonzo

Postby tgawel76 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:58 am

check out the brake location on the Eagle. Their layout is similar to the coot. they mount it to the left side of the tub.

tgawel76

Postby tjmbstukey » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:43 pm

I would like to convert my brakes to hydraulic, I looked on the sites mentioned but I could not find what I was looking for. Does anybody have the part numbers to do this? It would be a great help
tjmbstukey

Return to Brakes